Who We Are
Benue Coalition of Business and professional Associations, popularly referred to by its acronym BENCOBPA was formed on 29th July, 2010. This was after a three day sensitization programme on Strengthening the voice of Business in North Central Nigeria.’’ The workshop was organized by the Jos Business School, in partnership with Centre for International Private Enterprise (CIPE). CIPE is an affiliate of the United States of America Chamber of Commerce.
Benue Coalition of Business and professional Associations (BENCOBPA) is a Non-Political, Non-Governmental Organization (NGO). Her membership is voluntary and drawn from Business and Professional Associations within Benue State.
The current Executive Council, known as Local Coordinating Committee is headed by Donatus V. Zuanah, Esq. as Chairman and Mr. Terkura Nev as Secretary, among others.
BENCOBPA was established mainly to:
To be the leading voice of advocacy for Benue State as the first state of choice for investment in Nigeria. To make Benue State the first choice for investment and business development in Nigeria.
To promote a favorable business environment in Benue state that attracts investment and private enterprise through advocacy, research, and democratic engagements with relevant stakeholders in the state.
THE BENCOBPA MANDATE
Identification of challenges in the business environment in Benue State.
Advancing solutions to such challenges using empirical methods, researched paper presentations by experts in relevant fields, and discussions by participants during events.
Sensitization of the business community in the state on how to mitigate identified challenges in the business environment; through advocacy, seminars/workshops.
Presentation of possible solutions to challenges in the business environment to major stakeholders, especially government officials, for consideration and implementation.
Forming a synergy for all entrepreneurs in the state regardless of their political, social and religious leanings to share their problems and proffer lasting solutions.
ACTIVITIES FROM INCEPTION
- Media workshop for journalists in the state; this was to sensitize them on what BENCOBPA stands for, and it held on 6th September, 2011. The workshop was well attended by the print and electronic media.
- Roundtable on Taxation held on 20th October, 2011. To address the issue of multiple taxation.
- Roundtable on Security held on 10th November, 2011. To address issues of insecurity within the business environment.
- Roundtable on Access to Credit held on 26th April, 2012. To identify major challenges and open up credit windows to entrepreneurs.
- Farm Security Summit held on 30th October, 2014. To address and proffer solutions to incessant conflicts between Fulani herdsmen and farmers in Benue State.
- Gubernatorial Elections Debate held on 13th March, 2015. To provide another avenue for governorship aspirants to address the electorates who will also be better placed to cast their votes.
- Undertook courtesy visits to major stakeholders, such as: to the Governor of Benue State, Governor Samuel Ortom; to the Speaker of the 7th Benue State House of Assembly, Hon. Terkimbi Ikyange, and to many other top public officers of the state.